Background

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wax on, wax off

This is my little tutorial (and long story) on removing spilled wax from tables, tablecloths, carpets, etc.

♫ Let's start at the very beginning – a very good place to start ♫

We hosted our friends from work for a belated office Christmas party last night. The January party idea actually works very well, as people have a lot less commitments and the timing is perfect for a Christmas re-gift exchange!  (Anybody in the market for a ceramic cat dish?  No?)
Before the guests arrived I grabbed my camera to document all the festive details to post on this here bliggity blog, but I only got one shot before the first wave of people came. It's not even in focus, darnit. I couldn't very well be like, "Can you please stand by the door while I photograph my home?"
(By the way, the TV was playing photos and videos from the past year, not, you know, ESPN.)

Here's one of the cute decorations I was proud of.  I took scrapbook paper and wrapped it around mismatched candles with raffia and scattered them on the tables.  If you squint, you might be able to see in the above photo the scrapbook paper-turned-placemats.  It was very cute, F yer I.
So at the end of the night, my friend went around blowing out the candles, and I went around collecting them.  This one was still hot, and wax flew all over the tablecloth (which was really a $4 white bed sheet from Walmart).
So here's what you do to get it off, before putting it in the washing machine.  First, pick or scrape off as much wax as possible and remove all the loose pieces.
Then, cover the waxy area with a paper towel both on top of the cloth and on bottom.  Otherwise you'll end up with wax soaking through to the ironing board.  What me?  No, I didn't do that.
Cover the paper towel with a dish towel, or just iron directly on the paper towel if you've had all your coffee.
You'll notice the wax start to come off onto the paper towel.  Continue doing this until you feel like you've gotten off everything you can.
This is how my twin-sized flat sheet tablecloth looked when I was finished.  Better!  We'll see if the ol' washing machine can finish the job.
Now, if you've spilled colored wax, well, Kellerwoman can't help you there.  But I'll hold your hand while you cry.

1 comment:

EssentialEm said...

I laughed out loud so many times...you're so witty! :)