Background

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sewing's most forgiving project

I remember my mom telling me that pillows were the best thing to practice sewing on because the shape is so forgiving. I can't remember if that was something she told me when I was 7 or when I was 21 and moving into a new apartment and re-covering an entire couch. Either way, she was right. (If ONLY I could find a picture of that "clown couch...")
For my friend's birthday, I wanted to make her a monogrammed pillow and this site gave me the idea to make the letter out of felt. Couldn't have been easier.
I used my all-time favorite black crocodile felt that I stock up on each time I go to Hobby Lobby, and ironed it to the pillow fabric with that stuff that you iron to fabric. I'm no expert.
I was determined to make sure the top-stitching was equally spaced so I got the dumb idea that I would use baby power and a cake decorating tool to make guide marks. Awful idea. Well, not awful, but the baby powder wore off instantly, and the needle was too blunt and it took me ALL night. The stitches turned out pretty crooked up close, but I think it looks cute overall!
Grrr... my tassel burst all over the place! I have no idea how it happened, but one by one the beads started to slide off. I had to sew each strand back together. Oh well! I think it turned out really cute, and I think Mrs. F will agree.
(UPDATE: No need to warn my friend that the bottom left tassle was weak. The babysitter called and told her that her 3-year-old daughter decided to eat them. Glass beads. Down the hatch. No joke.)

1 comment:

Kristi Cook said...

This pillow is so cute! I love black and white prints.