Background

Friday, February 19, 2010

LOVEly twist on Mimi's recipe

For Valentine's Day, the huzz and I decided to have a date at home. He was in charge of dinner and I was in charge of dessert. We actually ate in the dining room! No pics of dinner. It was so amazing that I will not defile it by attempting to visually reproduce online.

Huzz loves chocolate sheet cake, and my grandma had given me a recipe for it at my wedding shower. For five years I kept that piece of notebook paper hidden in a recipe box. Oh, the shame! It was SO good! Except, Mimi forgot to jot down how much sugar and flour was needed. She just wrote, "stir in flour and sugar." Luckily, I found this recipe which was almost exactly the same. I cut the recipe in fourths (or at least tried) and then used a cookie cutter to make the portions even smaller.
The only difference was that the online recipe calls for buttermilk or sour cream, but thanks to Mimi's extensive notes, I knew that 1 T lemon juice can be added to 1C milk to sub for buttermilk. She's great. And she will kill me for posting this picture of her!
We were shopping at an antique store and I made her put on this awful spaghetti hat and pose. She complied. Not my fault!

1 comment:

David said...

Senior Abuse!