Background

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A year's worth of birthdays

Hi, handful of blog readers.  I'm back!  It's been more than a month since I've posted anything, and for a good reason: motherhood!

Now that my little bitty baby is one month old today (which is the purpose of this blog post!) I'm a little more comfortable putting her out there, so to speak.

So since the trend these days is to take a picture of your baby holding a sign for how many months he/she is turning, I decided to take it a step further and whip up a little birthday outfit.  And by whip up, I mean labor over it for 30 seconds at a time all day long.

Since this is my first craft project since she was born, I wanted to make it special... so I went ahead and created all the numbers for up to 11 months now for both consistency's sake and to save myself time in the future.

I made number outlines in Photoshop and printed them large enough to fill up these little 4x4 fabric swatches that I received from Land of Nod.  I KNEW they'd come in handy one of these days!


I then ironed the swatches on to Heat&Bond and taped the pieces up to the front door to trace them, a la third grade art class.  I'm sure there was an easier way, but mommy brain got in the way.


Plus, I had a human strapped to me.


I cut out the one, ironed it on to a newborn onesie that's almost too small and sewed a zigzag stitch around it.  I saved the rest of the numbers in an envelope in my sewing box so they'd be easy to find and place on whatever size white onesie fits her on the 21st of every month.


And, without further ado, here's my beautiful one-month old!

 

1 comment:

Amy D said...

She is precious, Laura! Congratulations again! Paul and I are expecting a little girl this fall...and I'm thinking if you ever feel the need to pass on your awesomely crafted work to someone...just let me know! ;) You're so creative!! p.s. the nursery looks awesome - wow!!